Monday, December 21, 2009

Making Scarves for the Homeless Shelter

One of the things I love most about the school my children go to, is the amount of service they do every year. They make sandwiches and deliver them to the shelter for luches several times a year, they collect coats and food and books and other items to donate. It is wonderful since most of children are extremely well to do and want for nothing, so it is good to step outside of their comfort zone and serve others. The fifth graders have a tradition of making scarves for the homeless shelter. Here are the bags waiting to be filled.....
There was a table full of the fabric, pre-cut and ready to tie....
Here's Xander and some of his friends tying their scarves.....

I loved to see all the bags, once empty, now brimming with warm scarves. Each child wrote their name on a card, so the recipient would have a personal message with the scarf.Even Savannah and I made a scarf and wrote our name on a card!
What a wonderful sight!
Xander's teacher told me that the woman who delivered the scarves told about a father who showed up about the same time she came. He was looking for something warm for his son. Immediately, one of the scarves was given to him and he just looked up and asked, "It's really mine? I can keep it?" How blessed I am to have warm clothes, a house and more than enough for my children. When I told Xander the story, his first reaction was, "I hope he got one of the fire flame scarves - then it could have been mine!" I love my son!

2 comments:

Cothran Family said...

I just love service! Way to go Xander. Merry Christmas

Chuckleheads said...

You really are teaching your children the "true" meaning of Christmas. Way to go mama!