Wednesday, November 3, 2010

From trash to treasure.....

When I first met Jason, he was driving a Mercedes and wearing a Nordstrom suit. I, on the other hand, was driving a Volkswagon and wearing Birkenstocks. I was thrilled at the treasures you could find on the side of the road. He looked at me in horror as if I had a rare disease.
We have since come to an agreement. He tolerates most of what I bring in and has on occasion been heard to say, "Wow! I never knew you could do that with what it looked like before!" Other than a few purchases, most of what we own was found on the side of the road, given to us or nowdays, found on Craigslist.
I really wish I had a picture of this frame when I found it. We were driving to his parents house and there was an entire PILE of picture frames. I yelled, "STOP!" He kept going, insisting we were late (which we were!) and I was so bummed! I just knew someone was going to swoop down and take all my picture frames while I was having to be social with his family.
Luckily, the odds were in my favor and all 36,000 people who drove by that night had enough picture frames in their homes. On the way home, they were still there and I was soooooooo excited!
So, he pulls over...I run through traffic.....he does some kind of illegal turn.....I rummage through the frames and grab the best ones.....he pulls over...I jump in.....and he peels out like we are in a getaway car, lest someone see us!
The frames sat in the garage for several weeks. I convinced a friend to use the smaller ones for her daughters wedding, but this beauty was MINE!!!!
So, here it is before.....

And here it is as a chalkboard at the bottom of the stairs going to his studio!
You can see more of it at my creative blog: www.onecreativeday.blogspot.com

And yes, this was one time he said, "Wow! That's really cool looking!"

2 comments:

Chuckleheads said...

Love it. Where did you buy the actual chalkboard?

Cothran Family said...

You are seriously amazing! I love that idea!