Sunday, February 24, 2013

Good Thing it is FOREVER!


Jason and I got married on September 14, 1996.  Before we knew he would be a schoolteacher.  Before we knew we would own Day Violins and spend our entire fall renting stringed instruments to hundreds of people traipsing through our home every day, all day long, non-stop!  
So, last year, we celebrated our golden anniversary, 14 years on the 14th.  We didn't do much.  Not like I planned all my life, but we rented quite a few instruments that day.....I guess that should be counted as  a successful marriage, right? 
So the year 2012, it is 15 years!  We talk about it and plan a little get away together.  Just one night, but still AWAY!
That day I receive two cards.  One from my mom and one from Jason's uncle. They both said, "Happy 16th Anniversary!"  I chuckled, thinking what are the odds that two people would get it wrong.....hmmmmm......two people who wouldn't get it wrong.......hmmmmmmm..........
So I mention it to the young man who is working for us.  I laugh and say how funny it is that they BOTH got the year wrong.  He asks when we got married and I tell him 1996.  A smile kind of creeps on his face.  He then says, It IS 16 years.  I do the math....the real math and realize we are celebrating 16 years.  I call Jason, put him on speaker phone and ask him how many years we have been married....he insists it is 15.  We both laugh when we realize we have lost a year somewhere....during some crazy violin rental season, four kids, life, jobs and such...we LOST a year of our marriage!
The 15 balloons I bought were still a hit when he came home that day......
 Each year had a memory of something that happened that is special or memorable.....
 Of course, I didn't have enough balloons, so the first one got put on the pillow........
 And I scored with beautiful red roses and my wedding ring!  We always talked about getting it on our 15th anniversary.  (Sly dog!  He got an extra year to pay for it!  But it was worth the wait!)  It is a simple band with diamonds, in a circle going around forever and ever, just like my marriage.  I am so lucky to have Jason in my life.  He is amazing and the best husband a girl could ever ask for!  And our kids think it is hysterical that we can't count!  I think it is too, but I am glad we have eternity because you don't have to count years when it is FOREVER!

1 comment:

Chuckleheads said...

What a cute way to celebrate!