Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Life is good....

I went to a meeting at a dear friends house yesterday. Her house is beautiful and big and immaculate! She was complaining about her dirty windows and mentioned she needed her window washer to come and do her spring cleaning. I looked at the windows and couldn't see any dirt, not a speck.
After a three hour meeting, one friend went to work out and she was going to the barn for the afternoon to watch her daughter ride. They parted telling each other that they can't wait to spend time together at the country club in Florida they are all going to in a week.
I came home to really dirty windows, dishes in the sink, raisins on the floor and several loads of laundry. I let out a big sigh. So, this morning, I tried to at least get to the bathrooms.
Savannah followed behind me pulling the toilet paper off the rolls and bringing all the toys in from the bedroom. She spilled water on the floor and put fingerprints all over the window I had just washed.

I started to get really frustrated...really frustrated.

I know I shouldn't compare myself to others. My life and my friend's life are two completely different lives. It's hard, though. I am surrounded by wealthy friends with huge houses and nice cars, who are all going to exotic places for Spring break. They live lives I can only dream about.

But....

I got over it. Savannah learned to walk in circles and I had to laugh at her. Then she stroked my arm as I was rocking her. Xander came up and gave me a hug when he got home from school. Eleanor already knew the ending of the bedtime story and could barely contain herself and made me laugh.

So, I still have fingerprints on the windows, I filled two more laundry baskets of laundry, the bathrooms are still not clean, but we did get the raisins cleaned up.....I think Savannah ate them off the floor. Someday I will miss the fingerprints.....Life is good.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I love this.
We have a wealthy ward too and it's hard to hear about all the places that they have gone to or are going to. Most have big nice clean houses full of nice stuff.
It's hard to not compare.
But I feel blessed to have what I do have, and must remember that.
From what I've seen I think your house is big and beautiful!!
And your kids are adorable. And you are awesome, so yes- life is good.

The Hansen Family said...

Darling. Plus, country clubs and exotic spring break gettaways don't last forever.....and they can't give you sweet slobber kisses and snuggle bug loves.

You are such a cool mom.

Anie said...

Oh Jenna- I lOVE reading your posts. This one cracked me up... the lives of private school moms! :) You really need to hang out with ME more often!!! We're actually probably moving to CA for the summer though. Let's get together soon. Love you!

Debbie said...

Oh Jenna -I so empathize with you! It is so easy to elevate what others have and minimize what we don't have...... but do know the value of the real things... hugs, kisses, love.