Monday, May 17, 2010

FREAK ACCIDENT!!!

Yesterday afternoon Savannah woke up from her nap crying. Garrett ran upstairs to go get her and she started screaming at the top of her lungs. Xander ran up to get her and she wouldn't let him touch her either. He finally got her out of the crib and brought her down. She was clingy and crying. She had been exposed to two children with the stomach flu in the last few days, so I thought she wasn't feeling well. She didn't want to be put down, wouldn't eat and was crying. I finally texted Jason and told him he needed to come home from Elder's quorum stuff because she wouldn't stop crying.
He and his friend came over and gave her a blessing.
She calmed down and would sit quietly in his lap. Later in the evening, she ate some potatoes and then promptly threw up. We figured that's why she was fussy all afternoon. After trying to sleep last night with her in bed with us - yeah, not successful at all! - I called the pediatrician this morning to make an appointment. They couldn't see her until late afternoon, even after I told them I was considering the emergency room. She would cry every time she was put down and wouldn't walk. So, I went straight to the ER.
The hospital staff was wonderful and friendly and nice. They, however, couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. There was no swelling, no fever, no bruising, no redness,etc. to indicate why she wouldn't step in her leg. They try not to do x-rays on toddlers, so they were hesitant to do one.
I started to think I shouldn't have been so worried and come to the ER. No one was saying it, but I started to doubt why I was there. She still would not put any pressure on her leg.
Here we are waiting in the room. She wouldn't let go of the binky and was still very clingy! Good thing we have our SUPERGIRL shirt on!!!
More entertaining! Crocs on the hands and singing songs and snacks.
Finally, they asked me to touch her leg in different places to see if she would respond to me. At the tip of her ankle, she winced and whined a little bit. We decided to try and x-ray right there.
Because she was so little, I had to put the lead on and hold her. The doctor warned me that they probably wouldn't find anything. I think it was because she wasn't showing signs of extreme pain.
Lo and behold, the doctor came back to tell me she has a fractured tibia and fibula! Basically, a broken leg! I asked if it was an old break or fresh and she said fresh. They wanted to know how it happened. I told them she woke up crying. The only thing we could think of was that she got caught in the slat of the crib and wrenched it.
So she now sports a soft cast until we see the orthopedic doctor in a couple of days. They will decide how long the hard cast has to be on. More than likely weeks...just in time for the pool to open! :(
The doctor and I both agreed that she has a seriously high threshold for pain. She did not give us any indication that there was a broken leg involved. The doctor was really surprised. While I am sad for my little lamb, I am glad I decided to go and skip the pediatrician. She wouldn't have found anything probably.
She is not allowed to put any pressure on it at all - I have to carry her everywhere! The kids were great this afternoon, crawling around and she crawled with them. She is in a lot of pain tonight and she keeps trying to pull the cast cover off. You can tell she doesn't want it on!
For now, Eleanor will sleep with Jason and I will sleep in the girls' room. She has to keep it elevated. We are taking the crib down and putting a mattress on the floor. It will be a little bit "white trash" but, it will help to keep her leg elevated at night. We are in for some LONG nights and LONG days!
Poor little lamb! I cancelled all appointments and things I was supposed to do for the next three weeks. Now I am really going to take it "easy" and not be busy! Just busy being a nurse!! She is worth it though! Lots of stories and games and walks in the stroller!!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

wow- that's crazy. Glad you got it figured out quickly.
Enjoy your "break".

Cothran Family said...

OH poor baby girl! Give her lots of love from her utah cousins and auntie. Love you baby Savannah! We hope you feel better soon.

martyrudd said...

Oh Jenna....what a bummer!! Just in time for your Rudd Company. Maybe we should rethink our visit!! Give her a hug from us:)
xoxoxAunt Marty

Becca said...

poor baby. give her extra loves from the okee cousins.

Chuckleheads said...

What a scary thing. She looks so tiny with that cast...heartbreaking. I'm glad she's being such a "big girl" about it...Love you guys...