Friday, January 14, 2011

The power of Prayer

I am a firm believer in prayer.
I am always amazed at how much my faith grows when I have a prayer answered. And I have had many answered......
So I have made it a point to teach my children about prayer.
When I hear of a situation in someone's life, I talk to my children about praying for them.
And, when that prayer is answered, we rejoice and I bear my testimony about the power of prayer.
And even when the situation doesn't turn out like we wanted it to, we talk about how Heavenly Father has a greater plan for all of us.
Since I am not rich and my family lives all over the world, sometimes prayer is my only way to help them. And I have such wonderful friends, the least I can do is pray for them!
Some people get prayed about almost every prayer, like Uncle John serving our country and having to be away from his family. And, of course, the prophet and missionaries get the daily prayers.
Some of the things we have been praying about lately have all turned out positive.
One of them was my mom and her hip surgery. She got a lot of prayers. And fasting. And more prayers. Last time I talked to her, things were going better than the doctor expected. That is truly and answer to prayers. I can't describe how my heart swells when I hear my little ones and the bigger ones saying, "Bless Grama Annie..." because I know THEIR prayers are not just hitting the ceiling. They are soaring to the heavens and their little pleas are touching God's heart and he can't help but answer their prayers for their grandma.
My sister, Eliza, has a son, Marrick, who did NOT want to go to primary his first week. So, in family council, I mentioned to the kids that we needed to pray for Marrick to want to go to primary. Every day, every prayer, included Marrick. And, though he still needed some extra attention to go, he went and he even folded his arms in the halls going to class the very next week! Small victory=prayers answered.
And just a few days ago, I got an email from a friend who has breast cancer and was going through a double mastectomy and exploratory surgery for some other possible cancerous areas. My kids don't remember her, though they have met her. I told them about her and we started praying. Several weeks later, just before the surgery, I saw her at a birthday party. I told her my children were praying for her. She got very emotional and thanked me. We took some pictures together and I showed the children who she was. Now they can place a name with a face when they pray.
The email stated that every thing went well and they found no cancerous areas. She is recovering quickly and feels wonderful! Her email made me emotional and I thanked her for the opportunity to tell my children that their prayers were answered.
And a situation that has been plaguing our family lately has started to resolve itself.
It's been a hard one.
One that has made me cry for days.
One that has my husband and I awake until the late hours of the night, sometimes in a heated discussion about what is best for our family.
One that has made me wonder why prayers five years ago were answered that way they were. But weeks of fasting and prayers and we are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. Research, interviewing, contemplation and tenacity are the only way this one is going to be answered.
And it is one that leaves you wondering why two choices can both be good, though in the end, one will be better, but how do I know?
So, I am grateful for trials and miracles that enables me to teach my children gospel principles and to strengthen their testimonies...and mine.
May God bless you all and remember, we are praying for you! :)





2 comments:

Chuckleheads said...

Awww....don't I love prayers! Although, they didn't help the Ducks now did they? :) Love you sissy - and we're praying for YOU!

Cothran Family said...

Marrick was so good on Sunday. He is learning. Thanks to the power of the Day families prayers. Seriously. I need to remember this more in my life right now. Thanks for your constant example Jenna.