Saturday, October 29, 2011

Charlotte's Web

My mom always read to us as children. I have done a pretty good job, but because of my illness, sometimes the evenings are really hard. Several months ago, I was reminded by my cousin, LaTisha Calhoun, that even just a few pages is worth it in the evening. So, I asked Heavenly Father for some help. I need just enough energy to read a few pages and not be too tired. With the fall and the rental business and just life in general, I have made it a priority to read to the girls every night that we are in bed at a decent hour. It has made a big difference in keeping the madness to a minimum. Eleanor is eating it up and Savannah is usually asleep by the time the story time is over. I have enjoyed just taking the time to be still and read books that I love.

How blessed I am that Heavenly Father has helped me with the extra strength these last few months to do this.

Last night the girls and I finished reading "Charlotte's Web." It has always been one of my favorite books. As I read the last few sentences, I started to get choked up. The story of true friendship is so powerful in that story. The concept of thinking of someone else and putting their needs first. I am grateful I was reminded of how powerful a friendship can be and how blessed we are when we are kind to another human being.

"What the book is about is friendship on earth, affection and protection, adventure and miracle, life and death, trust and treachery, pleasure and pain and the passing of time. As a piece of work it is just about perfect, as just about magical in the way it is done."
Eudora Welty, New York Time Book Review

Before that, we read "The Trumpet of the Swan", also by E.B. White.
It is about a swan who cannot talk and the adventures he has and how he finds love and friendship and acceptance of being different from the others. I also consider this one of the best books ever written.

Our next book is going to be " Mrs. Brisby and the Rats of NIMH." Another favorite!
Thank you Heavenly Father for this tender mercy you have shown me and blessed me so I can create these wonderful memories for myself and my children!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Oohh.. I needed more book suggestions. Thanks! I love to read at bedtime, but it does get hard with having all their books from school they have to read. Thanks for the reminder to make it a priority. We are working on the Little House on the Prairie series.
I always end up falling asleep in someone's bed. agh.

Tisha said...

charlotte's web! That is such a good one, we'll have to put it on our list! We finally finished Little Women, and it was adleys choice next so we started "Treasure Island" so fun! Glad you are enjoying it...it was actually you who gave me the model of a nightly "devotional" of sorts so many years ago when becca and I came to visit, I loved it, and, as you saw in August, we have tried to make that nightly gathering part of our evening routine! Love and miss you!!

Chuckleheads said...

You need to add Island of the Blue Dolphins to the list. That was a favorite at our house. And Where the Red Fern Grows. I read that over the summer a couple of years ago when both Eric and Maddie were here...it was the BEST!

The Days of your Life said...

ISland of the Blue Dolphin and Where the Red Fern grows are staple books at our house! Thanks for the compliments everyone - and the suggestions!