Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A reminder....

This afternoon my mom called. She is working on my grandparents life history. She was reading through some entries and came across an entry that she had to call me about.

I am so glad she followed the spirit and did.

You see, my dad and I had an intense discussion this morning about life and me and my parenting and our business and other things. He told me things I needed to hear. I cried, because I always cry when I talk about things like this. And we had a great conversation. It helped me resolve to do better on a lot of things. And he was very honest and loving with what he said. He in no way was critical, but gave suggestions and observations.

So when my mom called me to remind me of this story, I started crying again. I needed to be reminded that I am supposed to be here doing what I am doing. After getting home from a mission, sometimes it is hard to remember how many spiritual experiences I really had. Hearing my mom today tell my grandma's version of the story was a great reminder of my mission, my purpose and everything my dad and I discussed.

So, here is the story.....

One evening after a meeting, one of the Elders and I were standing on the street corner getting ready to cross a busy street. We were talking and laughing and our companions were just a few feet behind us. Moments later, we were three feet back from where we had been standing. A car came speeding past, very close the edge of the road.
In the moments before, it was as if I was in slow motion and was being lifted up and placed away from the road and harms way. Afterwards, we looked at each other in amazement, as did our companions. We both realized that our lives had just been spared. The car was out of control and ran into a man, who was later pronounced dead. The spirit bore witness to all of us that we were supposed to be saved in that moment. The overwhelming feelings of the spirit stayed with me for weeks afterwards and it renewed my testimony of the divinity of the plan of salvation and my Savior Jesus Christ.

So, it has been a day of reflection for me. One that I needed. One that I hope I can take the feelings and the conversations and the reminders and make myself a better person.

2 comments:

The Hannant Family said...

I remember hearing that story. Isn't it great how the spirit works. I think you are awesome. I always wanted to be part of the Johnson clan and when I read your posts it reminds me of what a great person and mom all the Johnson girls became.

Andrea said...

Wow- awesome and amazing story. I'm glad that you were a part of my life. You influenced me (and still do) for good! Love ya!