Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I just need to brag.....

This boy, my first born, is growing up so fast......
Sometimes I ache to hold him in my arms and have him look up as take his binky out of his mouth and say, "Pooh!" just one more time. And have him spout off the names of all the dinosaurs and sea creatures and hold his chubby little hands.
But, he now towers over me by several inches.
I couldn't ask for a better first born. Even as a teenager, he is loving and kind and responsible and a great big brother. He tells me he loves me as he leaves for school and most mornings I still get a kiss and hug. He has really grown up and I am so proud of the man he is becoming.
When we decided to switch from the private school to the public school, it was a hard decision. We had Xander choose what he wanted to do. He wrote down all the pros and cons, he fasted and prayed about it and in the end, told us he was going to Rachel Carson Middle School, the public school.
It turned out to be the best decision of his life. It has not been easy. We were told that the private school was equivalent to the honors classes at the public schools, so we signed him up. We were very surprised to find out that the honors classes were much harder than anything he had ever taken at the private school! He really struggled that first quarter. Both academically and also missing his friends. There were tears and there was a lot of frustration.
But, he rose to the occasion. He buckled down, he studied, he figured it all out and worked hard to make friends, do well and he succeeded! He came home last quarter with a 3.75 GPA and on the honor roll! He also is first chair flute in the top band. He plays volleyball for his sport. He has been working really hard on his merit badges for his eagle. He has attended two years of junior cotillion and wants to be a student assistant next year. He babysits for us and the neighbors. He mows the lawn and does the dishes every night. He loves his little sisters and they love him too! He likes to boss his brother around, but he loves him and he helps him with his homework. They play Legos for hours together. I can always count on him to help me out when I am tired and dad is not around. I really am proud of my Xander bug! He is an amazing young man!
I am so proud of Xander. He has really shown us that he knows what he wants and is capable of being something great. I am so blessed to be his mom. I hear about all these kids his age that are sassy and self-serving and I count my blessings! I wish I could describe in words how much I love him and how much he means to me. But this little bragging session will have to do! I love you, Xander! Way to go! You ROCK!

2 comments:

Chuckleheads said...

Pooh. I loved that too. Waaaaah!

Tisha said...

Love you zander! what an awesome #1! way to start the pack!