Friday, June 14, 2013

Cotillion!

I make my children go to Cotillion.  I want them to learn how to dance.  I want them to have manners and I want them to be exposed to situations so they will feel comfortable when they are invited to a formal event.  Living in the Washington DC area, it is not uncommon to attend formal events.  I know I have attended many just because I live here!  It's a great opportunity.
Xander and Garrett both attended this year.  Xander was a student assistant and Garrett was a participant.
 The Spring Ball is the last formal event they attend.  Where they dance to all the dances they have learned, the fox trot, the waltz, the cha cha, the swing.
 They even have dance contests.  This one is where they have to dance with a ball on their forehead.  When it falls, they are out.  There are always more girls than boys and so Xander dances all the time!  He and this girl won this contest!  The look on their faces is great!  Sometimes the ball is so low they look like they are kissing!

 They learn how to pin corsages and boutonnieres.  Here's Garrett doing the swing with one of my favorite young ladies.  That's the other nice thing!  They are exposed to nice, well-mannered young people!
 And my favorite part of the Spring ball is that there is a parent dance.  I get to dance with my boys!  I love it!  Garrett is growing up so fast and he is a really good dancer!  I enjoy every minute that I have watching him become a young man.
 Even when we have silly faces while we dance!  At least we are having fun!
Love you, Garrett!

No comments: