Friday, March 18, 2011

Sigh!

So, we started spring break at 3:00pm yesterday. (The boys loved saying that, so I had to put the exact time!) Last night we had a two year old throwing up. What a great way to start spring break! Sigh! It seems to never end at our house right now.
I have been thinking a lot about spring break and what I want to do. Since we have tightened our belts a lot the last couple of years, Hilton Head, South Carolina is out. (insert sad face)
Now, mind you, we live in the nation's capitol, so entertainment is not scarce. It's just that the beach is my favorite spot to just unwind. Growing up, we would bundle up and explore tide pools for hours, swim in the sub-zero Oregon coast temps until our lips were blue and we couldn't feel our toes and then build the most awesome sand castles. And then when we could feel our toes again, we would run and body surf the waves again.
And every year we went to Hilton Head, we would spend the entire week just enjoying the beauty of the sunrises, get excited when we saw dolphins and running and jumping in the waves. I would just be there, in the moment, and just enjoy everything that was going on around me. It was heaven!
I think I have convinced Jason to take a day trip to the beach. It won't be the same as a week of sand in my toes and wind in my hair, but enough to let me breathe the salty air and feel the foamy water on my legs. The kids will love it and we will build an awesome sand castle and I will be happy. I need to have a moment to just close my eyes and breathe in and out and wiggle my toes in the sand.
It's been a frustrating few months. It's been taxing on my health and my ability to deal with added stress (like a barfy two year old) and my perspective on life. I need a moment to just be. To just enjoy. To just relax and take a deep breath. To re-group and re-focus. To re-commit to myself and my God that I have the faith to make it through all of this.
I can already smell that salty air and feel the wind and hear the waves....as soon as the two year old is healthy!!!

2 comments:

Nikkie said...

We miss you guys!

The Days of your Life said...

Nikki,
send me your blog address again!